Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, is declaring his bid for Nigeria’s most coveted political position- President of the Federal Republic – in Abuja. Atiku belongs to the opposition All Progressive Congress and hopes to be presented for the election by the party ahead of the 2015 elections.
Atiku comes to the race with extensive political sagacity. He’s strategy for this election includes a heavy reliance on youth power and social media.
Premium Times is attending and will bring you live updates from the event.
- Born 25 November 1946
- Politician, Businessman and Philantropist
- Worked in the Nigeria Customs Service for twenty years, rising to become the Deputy Director.
- Elected Vice-President of Nigeria from 1999 to 2007, on the platform of the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP). He served with Olusegun Obasanjo with whom he had a cold relationship towards the end of their tenure.
- Ran for the office of Governor in the Gongola State (now Adamawa and Taraba States) in 1991.
- Ran for the Presidency in 1993, placing third after MKO Abiola and Babagana Kingibe in the Social Democratic Party (SDP) primaries.
- Political trajectory: People’s Democratic Party (1998–2006, 2009–2013) Action Congress (2006–2009)
All Progressives Congress (2013–present)
- Wife: Titi (Albert) Abubakar
Kids: Fatima, Adamu, Halima and Aminu
- Wife: Ladi (Yakubu) Abubakar (Divorced)
Kids: Abba, Atiku, Zainab, Ummi-Hauwa, Maryam and Rukayatu
- Wife: Princess Rukaiyatu Abubakar (daughter of the late Lamido of Adamawa).
Kids: Aisha, Hadiza, Aliyu, Asmau, Mustafa, Laila and Abdulsalam.
- Wife: Fatima (Shettima) Abubakar
Kids: Amina (Meena), Mohammed Ahmed and Shehu (Twins), Zainab and Aisha (Twins) and Hafsat.
- Wife: Jennifer (Iwenjora), aka Jamila Atiku-Abubakar
Kids: Abdulmalik, Zara and Faisal.
— Atiku Abubakar (@atiku) September 24, 2014