Dozens of Afghan soldiers were killed in fighting with Taliban militants after their base was surrounded in Afghanistan’s northern Faryab province, local officials said on Tuesday.
Sebghatullah Sailab, a provincial council member, said initial reports indicated that at least 50 soldiers were killed and numerous others wounded at the base within the past three days.
He said the remaining soldiers of the 140-strong force surrendered to the Taliban after their ammunition ran out late Monday, adding that the base was now fully controlled by the Taliban.
According to Sailab and Mohammad Rahmani, another provincial council member, the base, which was the only remaining government facility in the district, had been surrounded by Taliban militants for at least two months.
According to Rahmani, all but a small number of the soldiers were killed and those remaining surrendered.
He added that the road to the base is controlled by the Taliban, rendering ground support impossible.
Afghan Defence Ministry spokesman, Ghafoor Javid, only confirmed the death of 17 soldiers, with 19 others wounded.
He said that help is on the way, but declined to give further details.
Taliban militants have ramped up attacks on Afghan security forces, their facilities and the Afghan government in the past few months.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...