Guam governor shrugs off North Korea’s mid-August strike plan

Governor Eddie B. Calvo [Photo Credit: Guampedia]

The Guam Governor Eddie Calvo on Thursday dismissed North Korea’s statement that it will develop a plan by mid-August to launch missiles at the U.S. Pacific territory as coming from “a position of fear.

Calvo said there was no heightened threat.

North Korea’s state media said earlier that, under the plan to be presented to leader Kim Jong UN, four intermediate-range missiles would be fired into waters 30 to 40 km from Guam “to signal a crucial warning to the United States”.

Guam is home to about 163,000 people and a U.S. military base that includes a submarine squadron, an air base and a Coast Guard group.

“They like to be unpredictable. They’ll pop a missile off when no one is ready and they’ve done it quite a few times and now they’ve telegraphed it.

“They’re now telegraphing their punch, which means they don’t want to have any misunderstandings, I think that’s a position of fear,” Calvo told Reuters in an interview on the island.

He said there was some concern among the public on Guam but no panic, and the authorities were “very confident” that there was no heightened threat despite the warnings from North Korea, which were first made on Wednesday.

“There is a defence umbrella contained within South Korea, there is a defence umbrella for Japan, there are naval assets between Korea, Japan and Guam, and there is a missile defence system of Guam that make up a multi-level defensive umbrella,” Calvo said.

“At this point, based on what facts are known, there is no need to have any concern regards heightening the threat level.”

(Reuters/NAN)


Advertisement

PT Mag Campaign AD

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.

Donate


TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...



BE THE FIRST TO KNOW! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.