Australia on Tuesday said it had halted its airstrikes in Syria following a warning from Russia that it would target U.S. coalition aircraft after a fighter jet shot down a Syrian warplane.
A spokesman for Australia’s Defence Department said strike operations in Syria have temporarily ceased, but that it will continue airstrikes in Iraq.
Australia is a member of the U.S.-led coalition and has among the highest number of airstrikes in Syria and Iraq.
“Australian Defence Force protection is regularly reviewed in response to a range of potential threats,” a spokesman told local media.
On Monday, Moscow warned that it would treat all U.S. coalition aircraft west of the Euphrates river in Syria as “airborne targets.” after a U.S. fighter jet shot down a Syrian warplane.
The Russian defence ministry also said it was ending cooperation on a U.S.-Russian agreement that had been designed to prevent a direct conflict between the two powers in Syria.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...