The Australian public has raised funds to pay the vet’s bill for a hero dog which saved a young girl from a deadly snake, local media reported on Friday.
Jo Shaw, the owner of four-year old boxer Mack, was faced with a veterinary bill of 6,000 Australian dollars (4,400 dollars) after the dog was bitten by a tiger snake.
Mack was bitten repeatedly after he sprang on the highly venomous 1.2-metre-long snake when he saw it creeping up on Shaw’s two-and-a-half-year-old daughter Carmen in their Melbourne backyard.
Shaw said when she found Mack he was paralysed, frothing at the mouth and not breathing.
The dead snake was beside him.
According to a media report, the dog recovered after days in intensive care but was left with kidney damage, while the family faced having to sell their car to cover the vet’s bill.
They, as an alternative, sought the public’s help via the fundraising website GoFundMe, managing to raise more than enough to cover the bill in just four days.
Shaw said on the website that Mack was still very weak but was slowly pulling through and would be home before Christmas.
“We couldn’t have done this without all your support and generosity.
“Our family and Mack are indebted for life, thank you,’’ Shaw wrote on the website.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...