The United States “strongly” condemned Tuesday’s terrorist attack in the northeastern Nigerian state of Borno.
At least 20 traders were reportedly killed and about 50 others critically injured after a bomb went off in a rural market in Damboa local government area, according to witnesses and security sources.
”We offer our deepest sympathy and condolences to the families and the friends of the victims,” the U.S. government said in a statement Wednesday.
“We will continue to support Nigeria’s efforts to bring those responsible for the attack, as well as previous attacks, to justice.”
The bomb went off, witnesses said, at about 1 p.m. in Sabon Gari village, 45 kilometres away from Biu town.
Sabon-Gari, an agrarian community located along the Maiduguri-Biu highway, has a weekly market that holds every Tuesday.
No individual or group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack.
“As we have said before, the people of northern Nigeria deserve to live free from violence and from terror,” the statement said.
“The United States continues to provide a range of counterterrorism assistance to help Nigeria and its regional partners.”
The U.S. commended the ongoing efforts of the Nigerian military, as well as the security and defense forces of Chad, Niger, and Cameroon, for the gains so far made in the fight against Boko Haram.