ICC halts release of former Ivorian President Gbagbo in spite acquittal

Laurent Gbagbo
Laurent Gbagbo

The International Criminal Court (ICC) halted its order for the immediate release of Cote d’Ivoire’s former President Laurent Gbagbo on Friday, just days after acquitting him of charges of crimes against humanity.

The court’s appeals judges in The Hague ordered that Gbagbo remain in prison for the time being and scheduled a new hearing on his release for Feb. 1.

The 73-year-old was acquitted on Wednesday ahead of the trial’s scheduled ending due to lack of evidence.

The prosecution then appealed against the order for his release, fearing he would not return for a possible appeal process.

Mr Gbagbo had been charged with human rights violations committed after the West African nation’s disputed 2010 presidential election, which saw 3,000 people killed and about half a million others displaced.

Mr Gbagbo, who said the charges against him had been politically motivated, has been defending himself before the ICC since 2016.

Okowa Campaign AD

He is the first former head of state to have been tried by the ICC, he ruled Cote d’Ivoire from 2000-2011.

In Abidjan, commercial capital, activist Mercelin Kouakou said: “It is with a lot of pain and sadness that I receive this news.

“I have faith that President Laurent Gbagbo and Minister Charles Goude will be back among us, and that together we will walk the path of reconciliation,” she said, speaking in front of Simone Gbagbo’s residence.

Mr Gbagbo’s acquittal was deplored by victims’ groups representing those who died in violence during the 2010 election, in which Gbagbo refused to concede defeat to his rival Alassane Ouattara.

Hundreds of thousands fled the unrest that prosecutors blamed on Gbagbo and victims fear his return home could revive hostilities in Abidjan.

In their earlier ruling to free the men, the trial judges said the prosecution case was “exceptionally weak” and that it was unlikely the acquittals would be overturned.

The appeals chamber backed the prosecution arguments that Mr Gbagbo might not return for future court hearings if he was set free.

Prosecutors said that his wife, who is also the subject of an ICC arrest warrant, has been living openly in Cote d’Ivoire.

(dpa/NAN)

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

 

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.

Donate


NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD: This space is available for a Text_Ad.. Call Willie on +2347088095401 for more information


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.