Seven children died of food poisoning after eating sea turtle, officials in Madagascar said on Wednesday.
The children, between a few months and 4 years old, were from the same family in the north of the island off the East African coast.
“Seven children died on January 8 and 9, including two infants after breastfeeding whose mothers had eaten the turtle meat,” Said Borohany, a medical inspector, said.
Sea turtles are a protected species in Madagascar, but people still eat them.
Between November and March, the animals feed on toxic algae that lines the seabed, and the toxins can be found in their flesh.
“This kind of case occurs every year at this time,” said Manitra Rakotoarivony, Director of Health Promotion at the Health Ministry.
“Yet we go down to these areas to explain that locals should not eat this meat,” he added.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...