The Red Cross on Wednesday confirmed that a second body was been found in the wreckage of a collapsed residential building in Kenya’s capital.
Emergency crews made the discovery on Tuesday night, the agency said on Twitter, around 24 hours after the seven-storey block fell down in Nairobi’s poor southern Pipeline Estate.
Most of the residents had fled after cracks appeared in the building on Monday.
One woman was found a day later and died from her injuries in hospital.
The second body was found dead in the rubble.
Forty-nine people died in 2016 when another building collapsed during a heavy nighttime downpour in a poor neighbourhood.
The government ordered the demolition of many buildings after that incident, including the block that collapsed on Monday.
The Red Cross said another missing person it had been searching for had been found alive.
Two children were pulled out alive on Tuesday evening.(Reuters/NAN)
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...