Terrorist group, the Islamic State, has claimed responsibility for Wednesday’s Tunisian Museum attack that killed 19 people.
ISIS, which is largely present in Iraq, Syria and Libya, made the claim in an audio recorded in Arabic language posted on You Tube by France 24.
“We tell the apostates who sit on the chest of Muslim Tunisia: Wait for the glad tidings of what will harm you, o impure ones, for what you have seen today is the first drop of the rain,” the IS said in the audio.
Although Tunisian authorities have not issued public statement on the IS claim of responsibility, the Prime Minster, Habib Essid said the two gunmen killed by the country’s security forces in the wake of the attack had been identified to be Tunisians, named Hatem al-Khashnawi and Yassin al-Abidi.
“We have identified them; it is indeed these two terrorists. Their affiliation is not clear at the moment,” Mr. Essid told French RTL radio on Thursday, adding that Mr. al-Abidi had been under surveillance before.
According to Reuters, Tunisian security arrested four people directly linked to the attack and five others with indirect ties.
“We arrested the father and the sister of the terrorist Hatem Al-Khashnawi in their home in Sbiba City,” Reuters quoted a security source as saying.
Statement from the President’s office said that soldiers would be deployed to streets in major cities as part of counter-insurgency efforts.
Citizens of Tunisia, Italy, Spain, Japan and Britain were killed in the attack that occurred at the antiquity-rich Bardo Museum in Tunis yesterday, coming as worst violence in the North African country since 2002 suicide bombing in Djerba.