New Zealand is imposing first lock down restrictions since October on the city of Auckland, its most populous city for three days after three COVID-19 community cases were reported.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said this on Sunday.
The three cases, confirmed earlier in the day by the health ministry, were from the same household in South Auckland.
All the patients are currently in quarantine.
“As of 11:59 p.m. Sunday Feb. 14, Auckland will move to (Alert) Level 3 for a period of three days until midnight on Wednesday.
“The rest of New Zealand will move to Level 2 for the same period of time,’’ Ardern told reporters, adding that the decision will be reviewed on a 24-hour basis.
Since the outbreak of the pandemic, the country has confirmed a total of 2,330 cases, including 2,258 recoveries and 25 fatalities.
There are currently 47 active cases in New Zealand.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...