A police source in Madinah has told Arab News how a suicide bomber struck in the vicinity of a police post outside the prophet’s Mosque at Sunset on Monday killing six persons.
The victims include four policemen and two civilians plus the bomber himself, officials said.
The source said the officers manning the post were having their Iftar (breaking of fast) meal when the suicide bomber struck.
The bomber reportedly asked to join the policemen in breaking the fast and he was welcomed.
“As soon as he got near, he exploded his suicide vest,” Arab News reported.
A video circulated on social media showed a car burning and at least two security officers were seen lying on the open ground and two others lay crumpled near a burning car.
Security forces have cordoned off the Prophet’s Mosque and worshippers were not allowed to get in or out.
Madinah Governor, Faisal bin Salman, arrived at the blast location and visited Al Ansar Hospital where the victims of the blast were being treated.
Also, in Qatif, a governorate in the Eastern Province of the Kingdom, two suicide bombers blew themselves up one after the other outside the Faraj Al-Omran Mosque.
No casualties were reported.
Earlier on Monday at 2:15 a.m. Mecca time, a suicide bomber blew himself up near the US Consulate in Jeddah when security officers confronted him as he moved suspiciously at a parking lot of the Dr. Soliman Fakeeh Hospital.
Mansour Al-Turki, spokesperson of the Ministry of Interior, said the bomber, in his 30s, was identified as an expatriate from the United Kingdom.
Photos taken from the scene showed the bomber’s body partially dismembered by the blast.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks so far.
However ISIS militants claimed responsibilities for previous mosque attacks in the past months in the kingdom.