South African President, Jacob Zuma, on Thursday in Maputo apologised to Mozambique for the recent xenophobic attacks against foreigners living in South Africa, in which three Mozambicans died.
Mr. Zuma, who was on a two-day state visit to Mozambique, said such acts had no justification, taking into consideration the brotherhood ties between the people of the two nations.
He said from all indications the attacks were committed by a minority group that does not represent the whole South Africa.
“It is important for us to apologise for the acts of a small minority of South Africans which does not represent the desire of South African people,” Mr. Zuma said. “We have good relations with a number of countries, including Mozambique, and we never had problems.”
Oldemiro Baloi, Mozambican Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, said during the talks between Mr. Zuma and Mozambican President, Filipe Nyusi, both countries agreed to reinforce and improve the implementation of agreements so far signed.
He said both leaders went through the latest events that mark both nations, among them, xenophobia and deportation, and they concluded that they must improve communication so that such acts are reduced to the lowest incidents as possible.
Mr. Baloi said the two countries also talked about the political and economic situation between the two nations, as well as their presence in the Southern Africa Development Community.
The Minister said his president has accepted an invitation for a state visit to South Africa, issued by Mr. Zuma during the talks.
He said during his stay, Mr. Zuma would also address the Mozambican Parliament, the Assembly of the Republic.
Mr. Zuma had lived in Mozambique during the struggle against the South African Apartheid regime, until its independence in 1994.
Mozambique became one of the African National Congress’ rear bases in the southern African region during the struggle.