Burundi charges 18 suspects in failed coup plot

Burundi took 18 people suspected of involvement in a failed coup against President Pierre Nkurunziza to the high court, relatives of some of the accused said on Sunday.

Earlier, about 100 demonstrators took to the streets of Bujumbura to protest Mr. Nkurunziza’s decision to seek a third term, defying the president’s call for an end to the weeks-long protests.

Burundi was plunged into deep crisis after Mr. Nkurunziza announced he was running for another five-year term, with clashes between police and protesters stirring memories of an ethnically-driven civil war that ended a decade ago.

“A lot of us citizens do not want the constitution to be violated as he is not allowed to lead for the third term. We will demonstrate until he steps down,’’ Nduwimana Belamie, one of the protesters, said.
According to the opponents, Mr. Nkurunziza’s decision violates the constitution and the Arusha deal to end the war that pitted rebel groups of the majority Hutu population, including one led by Mr. Nkurunziza.
However, the army had been mixed and had absorbed rival factions, but the coup attempt exposed divisions.

The fate of General Godefroid Niyombare, who had announced the president’s ouster on Wednesday, was still not clear on Saturday.

The loyalist troops calmed the streets of the capital on Friday following clashes between the two factions.
Speaking on condition of anonymity due to fears of reprisals, family members of two of the 18 men taken to court told journalists the suspects had raw wounds on their bodies. One of them added one of them had lost hearing in one of his ears due to a beating in the cells.
Report says one of the men, identified by onlookers as Juvenal Niyungeko, a senior officer, was escorted into the court without shoes and restrained by handcuffs.
However, it was not immediately clear what charges they were facing.
Christella Harerimana, a lawyer representing three of the suspects, said one of her clients had been walking barefoot since he was arrested.
Harerimana added that her client had been held in a house rather than a police cell, contrary to legal requirements.
“They have violated their human rights,’’ Harerimana said, adding it was not clear what would happen next to the men.
The president’s spokesman declined to comment on the claims of abuse when contacted by journalist.
Residents of Bujumbura said they were planning to come out in large numbers on Monday to protest against Mr. Nkurunziza’s decision to seek a third term.
More than 105,000 people have already fled to neighbouring countries, including to Rwanda, with the same ethnic mix as Burundi.

(Reuters/NAN)

Advertisement

PT Mag Campaign AD

Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility

Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.

For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.

By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.

Donate


TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...



NEVER MISS A THING AGAIN! Subscribe to our newsletter

* indicates required

DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.