The Rwanda High Commissioner to Nigeria, Protogene Nsengumuremyi, said on Tuesday night that Rwandans have put thetragedy of the 1994 massacre behind them and ready to build a prosperous country.
Mr. Nsengumuremyi said this in Abuja at the commemoration of the 21st anniversary of the massacre of 1,074, 017 Rwandans during one of the most brutal ethnic conflicts the world has ever witnessed.
The envoy declared “We have since forgiven each other and we have moved on as a nation,” he said.
He said the government of Rwanda was committed to averting anything that would lead to a massacre not only in Rwanda but also in any country, particularly on the African continent.
The Nigerian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Aminu Wali, said the event called for sober reflection.
Mr. Wali said it was unfortunate that Africa had been exposed to various degrees of violence due to poor leadership, corruption, religious and ethnic divides, poverty among others.
Mr Wali called on African leaders to wake up to their responsibilities of ensuring peace and stability on the continent.
A candle light session was observed in memory of the victims of the genocide. (NAN)
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government. For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour. By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...