Two recent suicide bomb attacks in Russia killed 34 people
The Russian President, Vladimir Putin, on Tuesday said Russian forces had gone on combat alert in Sochi and tightened restrictions on access to the Black Sea resort.
He said this move was part of measures to ensure security during February’s Winter Olympics.
Mr. Putin was speaking based on the fact that success or failure of the Sochi Games would help shape his legacy.
He has increased security in Russia following two suicide bomb attacks in the southern city of Volgograd which killed at least 34 people.
Moscow’s most wanted man, the Chechen insurgent leader, Doku Umarov, has urged militants who want to carve an Islamic state in Russia’s South to use maximum force to prevent the games from going ahead.
“All security issues for the Winter Olympics are being dealt with at the highest international level. From January 7, all divisions responsible for ensuring the security of guests and participants at the Games are being put on combat alert,” the Emergency Situations Minister, Vladimir Puchkov was quoted as saying by Itar-Tass News Agency.
The authorities are deploying tens of thousands of police and interior ministry troops to Sochi, where athletes will compete for more than two weeks in the most expensive Olympics so far, from February 7.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...