Togo had a cholera outbreak in August
The World Health Organisation, WHO, has donated facilities worth about 6.5 million CFA (N2.1 million) to Togo to fight cholera outbreak, a government official has said.
The Chief National Programme Co-ordinator, Fight Against Diarrheal Diseases in Togo, Lando Dadja, stated this on Monday.
He said the WHO also donated drugs – such as antibiotics – and water disinfection products.
“It also facilitated awareness creation on measures to prevent cholera infection,” Mr. Dadja said.
The co-ordinator said Togo recorded 116 cholera cases in the recent outbreak in August, with four deaths.
“The latest outbreak was first recorded late August in Lome and the lake areas of Anfoin. Other cases were recorded in the central region.”
He said a nationwide awareness campaign had been kicked off to educate the masses on the need to maintain basic rules of hygiene.
“WHO donated a lot of inputs and drugs for the management of patients, and the total donation is estimated at about 6.5 million CFA,” Mr. Dadja said.
Cholera is an acute diarrheal infection caused by ingestion of food or water contaminated by bacteria.
Experts say the disease has the ability to kill victims within few hours of infection, if left untreated.
“We need our citizens to boil their water before drinking and wash their hands thoroughly before eating. This will break the chain of infection,” Mr. Dajda said.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: Call Willie - +2348098788999