Chad sent one of the largest African contingent to Mali.
Chadian President, Idriss Deby, said on Monday that his forces had “accomplished their mission’’ against Islamist militants in Mali and would now withdraw from the country.
Chad sent the largest African contingent of about 2,000 soldiers.
In an interview with the French media, Mr. Deby said his forces would be unable to fight against guerrilla warfare tactics.
The withdrawal announcement comes after at least three Chadian soldiers were killed on Friday in a suicide bombing in the northern city of Kidal.
On January 11, France launched airstrikes to flush out Islamist insurgents, who were advancing on the capital Bamako from Mali’s north.
Paris started the withdrawal of its 4,000 troops last week and was set to half its troop’s size by July.
French Foreign Minister, Laurent Fabius, earlier in April said that France would leave at least 1,000 permanent troops in the country as a UN peacekeeping mission is set up.
Chad is also expected to contribute to the UN mission.
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...