“The truth is that it is difficult to tame corruption where the federating units virtually run on free federal allocations that some people see as national cake.”
– Ike Ekweremadu, Deputy Senate President, on why Nigeria must be restructured (Source: The Punch)
“It’s not about whether there’s anything wrong with the accounts of the Akwa Ibom state government! Why should the EFCC look into it? Is the state looking into the federal government account?”
– Attorney General of Akwa Ibom State, Uwemedimo Nwoko, arguing that EFCC, being a federal agency, is not empowered by the Nigerian Constitution to investigate the finances of Akwa Ibom which is a “federating Unit” within the Nigerian federation. A state high court in Akwa Ibom has given an interim injunction, restraining the anti-corruption agency from investigating the state government accounts (Source: Premium Times)
“If a man who steals chicken is not spared, how do you spare somebody that stole billions or millions of naira? Looters should be punished and there should be no plea bargaining: Plea bargaining will (only) provide escape route for looters.”
– Hassan Sunmonu, former President, Nigeria Labour Congress, bares his thoughts on the President Muhammadu Buhari’s anti-corruption war (Source: The Sun)
“Ndigbo are joint landlords of Nigeria and cannot leave it for anybody but will only continue to seek justice, equity and fair play for all Nigerians in general and Ndigbo in particular.”
– Mazi Alex Okemiri, the leader of the Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Council, said in a statement which called on various Igbo groups in Nigeria to stop agitating for self determination (Source: The Nation)
“Thank God I am back, I feel happy to be back.”
– Nuhu Ribadu, a former presidential candidate of the defunct ACN, on his return to APC (Source: Premium Times)
“If it is a sin to stand by those three – APC, Buhari and Tinubu – we will continue to be sinners.”
– Adesoji Akanbi, APC Senator representing Oyo South, insisting that he and others would continue to agitate for a change in the current senate leadership, despite the recent appointment of the Senate President, Bukola Saraki’s opponents as heads of ‘juicy’ committees in the senate (Source: Punch)
“Nobody cares about us…We didn’t eat for three days…not everybody can run with stress.”
– Nigerian athletes participating in the IAAF World U20 Championships, in Poland, narrate how they were abandoned by the Nigerian government and their pathetic experience in the competition (Source: AthleticsAfrica.com)
“I will probe him (Adams Oshiomhole); every kobo that has come to Edo State must be accounted for. That is his fear; that is why he can no longer sleep.”
– Osagie Ize-Iyamu, the PDP candidate for 2016 governorship election in Edo State, attacked the state governor, Adams Oshiomhole (Source: The Nation)
“Ize-Iyamu will first of all vomit the N1.2billion he shared with Dan Orbih, which is money meant for Defence that he collected from Fidelity Bank. After that he will go to jail before he can probe me.”
– Adams Oshiomhole, the governor of Edo State, responding to the comment by Osagie Ize-Iyamu, the PDP candidate for the 2016 governorship election in the state, that he (Ize-Iyamu) will probe Mr. Oshiomhole’s administration if he wins the election (Source: The Nation)
“Donald will betray his supporters on every issue.”
– Ted Cruz, a U.S Republican senator, criticizing his party presidential candidate, Donald Trump (Source: Twitter)
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...