“Bring peace and development to the Niger Delta then they will stop blowing up pipelines. Then, we will get gas and then power can be stable but until then, we will not get it.”
– Former vice president Atiku Abubakar commenting on the renewed violence in the Niger Delta region (Source: Premium Times)
“Followership is also a problem (of Nigeria). Nigerians are too docile. We could be ruled by a cockroach. Ours is like a country stuck in a medieval jungle.”
– Celebrated Nigerian poet, Niyi Osundare, reacting to the Kwara State University’s withdrawal from hosting the Niyi Osundare International Poetry Festival because of Mr. Osundare’s poem, ‘Blues for the New Senate King’, said to be critical of the Senate President, Bukola Saraki who is from Kwara. Osundare says he doesn’t regret writing the poem (Source: The Punch)
“We were drunk. I cannot say if it was the drink or something else. But I can tell you that we allowed the devil to take complete control of us.”
– Richard Orji, 25, confessed to the police that he and his accomplice, Desmond Quadri, 24, stabbed, robbed, and raped a 32-year-old woman in the Ajah area of Lagos (Source: The Punch)
“Just because you’re a journalist you are not exempted from assassination if you’re a son of a bitch.”
– President-elect of Philippines, Rodrigo Duterte, said many slain journalists in his country were corrupt, and must have “done something” to warrant being killed (Source: The Washington Post)
“His party hates him not because they disagree with him, but because they created a monster they cannot control. Now, they must bow to him. Trump is dangerously out of control – and that is both his strongest point and his greatest weakness. A world with President Donald Trump would be a dangerously uncertain world.”
– Azu Ishiekwene, Managing Director/Editor-In-Chief of The Interview magazine, shares his thoughts on the presumptive U.S Republican presidential candidate, Donald Trump (Source: Premium Times)
“The beginning of this clean-up exercise is clear evidence that Ken Saro Wiwa and other sons of Ogoniland who fought hard for environmental justice did not fight in vain.”
– President Muhammadu Buhari, in an address presented on his behalf by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, during the launch of the Ogoniland and other oil impacted communities in the Niger Delta (Source: Premium Times)
“APC did not win the election; it was (Muhammadu) Buhari who won the election.”
– Joseph Waku, APC member and a former senator from Benue State, appealing to Nigerians to give their support to President Buhari (Source: The Sun newspaper)
“I want to tell workers that I have placed myself on indefinite strike in solidarity with you. I shared your pains, but it was rather unfortunate that a man can’t give what he doesn’t have.”
– Ekiti governor, Ayodele Fayose, said in a broadcast to the Ekiti people through the state television station (Source: The Nation)
“Until the president’s handlers are certain he can make a commitment, don’t publish a commitment or have him make any. Not rocket science.”
– A social media influencer, Japheth Omojuwa, tweeted about President Muhammadu Buhari’s absence during the launch of the clean-up of Ogoniland and other parts of Niger Delta (Source: Premium Times)
“Muhammad Ali was The Greatest. Period.”
– The U.S President Barack Obama, and his wife, Michelle, said in their tributes to the legendary boxer, Muhammad Ali who died few days ago at the age of 74 (Source: The UK Guardian)
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...