“If we operate separately, we will be defeated separately, but if we operate in unity, we will triumph as one.”
– Issa Aremu, the General Secretary, National Union of Textile Garment and Tailoring Workers of Nigeria, decrying the division within the Nigeria Labour Congress over the current fuel hike in the country (Source: The Nations)
“Acting like father to economic saboteurs and forming protective ring around criminals in the (Niger Delta) region won’t do us any good at this critical period of our nationhood.”
– President, National Coalition of Niger Delta Ex-Agitators, Israel Akpodoro, dissuading the federal government from dialoguing with the new militant group, the Niger Delta Avengers (Source: The Nations)
“I will not fold my hands while armed herdsmen invade communities in Ekiti, killing people and destroying farmlands at will as they have done in other states. I cannot guarantee that there won’t be reprisal attacks.”
– Ekiti State governor, Ayodele Fayose, denouncing a reported violence attack, Friday, on Oke Ako in Ikole Ekiti Local Government Area of the state, by persons suspected to be Fulani herdsmen. Two persons were said to have died from the attack (Source: The Punch newspaper)
“The life of a nation is not different from the life of a human being. When you are traveling on a road which you believe will take you to a destination, 16 years down the road, it appears to be getting longer and longer, only a fool will continue to travel on that road.”
– Edo State governor, Adams Oshiomhole, on why he supports the current hike in the prices of petroleum products by the federal government of Nigeria. Mr. Oshiomhole, a former labour leader, was famous for his opposition to the removal of petrol subsidy and any increase in the price of petrol (Source: Premium Times newspaper)
“I said. Let this election be a referendum between me and the Catholic church.”
– The Philippines’ president-elect Rodrigo Duterte, takes on the Catholic Church which he described as being the country’s “most hypocritical institution”. The Catholic bishops reportedly campaigned against him during the presidential election (Source: Reuters)
“At this point in time, the only legal organ constitutionally empowered to actually takeover the affairs of the party (PDP) is the BOT.”
– Ibrahim Mantu, former deputy senate president, expressing his opposition to the PDP National Caretaker Committee, headed by former Kaduna State governor, Ahmed Makarfi (Source: Leadership newspaper)
“We will not allow the PDP to die or suffer divisions under our watch. History will never forgive us if we watch the party die.”
– Rivers State governor Nyesom Wike, who was the Chairman, PDP National Convention Planning Committee, explaining why the party had to remove Ali Modu Sheriff as its national chairman (Source: Vanguard newspaper)
“My strength is that the people know I mean well. I know the elite are against me but I am not against them. I believe that the dividends of democracy should go to the people. But they believe that the dividends of democracy must be for those who are called by their political names.”
– Imo State governor Rochas Okorocha giving reasons while the political elites in his state are at conflict with him (Source: The Sun newspaper)
“We have removed the leader of an organization that has continued to plot against and unleash attacks on American and Coalition forces, to wage war against the Afghan people, and align itself with extremist groups like al Qa’ida.”
– U.S President Barack Obama confirming the assassination of Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour in a U.S drone strike in Pakistan over the weekend (Source: Whitehouse.gov)
– Manchester United coach, Van Gaal, confirming that his career with the English club has come to an end (Source: Goal.com)
Support PREMIUM TIMES' journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. Yet only good journalism can ensure the possibility of a good society, an accountable democracy, and a transparent government.
For continued free access to the best investigative journalism in the country we ask you to consider making a modest support to this noble endeavour.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain a journalism of relevance and ensuring it remains free and available to all.
TEXT AD: To advertise here . Call Willie +2347088095401...