The Chairman of Iru/Victoria Island council in Lagos State advised the former traders at Kuramo Beach to dust the Kuramo mishap off their shoulder and move on with life as government will not compensate them.Ben Ezeamalu
The hopes of the former traders at the Kuramo Beach were dashed, Tuesday, when the Chairman of Iru/Victoria Island local council in Lagos State, visited the beach and ruled out any form of compensation for the former occupants.
Abayomi Daramola, the council boss, however, said that they would put up a “welfare package” for the families of those who lost their lives.
“We are going to try to see, at our own capacity, the welfare package that we can put up for them,” said Mr. Daramola.
“Some of them have written, some of them have come, that they want to take the corpses home.
“The local government is going to take care of that and some other reliefs that we can be able to do for them,” the council boss said.
While their wooden cabins were razed down by the bulldozer on Sunday, the traders at the beach had denied the illegal tag stamped on them by the state government, saying that they paid rents to both the local and state governments.
Amongst other claims, the traders at the beach insisted that they were paying N40,000 yearly ground rent, per cabin, to the government.
“They will tell you different kind of things,” said Mr. Daramola, who visited the beach on Tuesday.
He further stated that the council began collecting liquor licence from the traders last month.
“If they are talking about the ‘on and off’ (liquor licence) which the constitution allows us to collect…
“We visited them and told them that once you are doing business here, we are using so much money to clear all the environment deposits that you put up here.
“They are doing business here and they have shops where they sell wines and some other things,” Mr. Daramola added.
After addressing journalists, the council chairman turned to a handful of the traders who had turned up to meet him and said to them that Kuramo disaster “is one of those things”.
“Once there is life, there is hope,” he said
A concrete wall is being erected to block entrance into the beach.
On Tuesday, the family of Joseph Oke, 30, who drowned as he tried to rescue women and children during Saturday’s ocean surge; took away his decomposing corpse for burial at Abeokuta.
A tearful Sadiat, the deceased’s widow, said they lost the breadwinner of the family.
“We have a 10 year old boy and another seven year old. I don’t know what I will do to take care of them,” said Mrs. Oke.
“I know he would not have died if not because he was going to save people,” she added.