NNPC to re-open moribund Aba depot

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation said it would, on Monday, re-open the Pipelines and Products Marketing Company (PPMC) Depot in Aba, closed almost a decade ago due to pipeline vandalism.

This is contained in a statement signed by the acting Group General Manager, Public Affairs Division, NNPC, Fidel Pepple, on Sunday in Abuja.

Mr. Pepple said the re-opening of the depot would ensure the efficient distribution and supply of petroleum products in the South-East Zone.

It said the plan was part of efforts to retool the downstream sector as emphasised by the new Group Managing Director, Andrew Yakubu.

“One of the key objectives of the new management as espoused by the GMD during his maiden town hall meeting with staff recently was the revamping of critical downstream oil facilities and infrastructure.

“He specifically mentioned the rehabilitation of strategic depots, jetties and pipeline segments from Port Harcourt to Yola.

“The re-opening of the Aba Depot is therefore a major step in that direction as it will help ease the hitches in petroleum products supply in the South-East and going forward, in the North-Central and North-East. ” 

According to the statement, the Managing Director of the PPMC, Haruna Momoh described the re-opening as a major milestone for the company in its drive of ensuring unimpeded flow of petroleum products in the South Eastern zone of the country.

“The advantages of having Aba Depot back to operation are quite a handful; first it will reduce pressure on the Port Harcourt Refinery/Depot.

Mr. Momoh said the depot will supply Abia, Imo, Anambra and environs with petroleum products and will enhance the economic activities of the eastern region.

The Managing Director of PPMC also held that the plan would eliminate  bridging of products from Port Harcourt to Aba and will spare the nation the cost of “bridging via the Petroleum Equalisation Fund scheme”.

Mr. Momoh called on residents of Aba to be vigilant and ensure that pipeline vandals and oil thieves do not grind the depot to a halt again


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD:"Warning to Men, These 3 Foods is Slowly Killing Your Erection". Click Here to Know Them


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • Ilemona Onoja

    Simple research would have shown Premium Times that this depot was reopened in 2012 by the Jonathan administration. The depot then proceeded to function till August last year when it suffered a fire incident. To then post a story that says the depot was closed almost a decade ago, smacks of propaganda & lazy journalism at best.

    I understand that you may have reposted a press release sent to you by NNPC but my goodness, won’t you at least cross check? And be sure of what your post before you ruin your own credibility? Na wa O!