A two-year-old old boy was burnt to death in an inferno on Thursday at Ekuluobia Street, Kpiripiri in Abakaliki, the Ebonyi capital. The blaze also consumed property worth millions of naira
The fire which started at about 9:50 a.m. on Thursday destroyed 15 rooms.
Items destroyed by the inferno included refrigerators, mattresses, sofa, electronics, documents, among others.
Stanley Nze, a victim and caretaker of the house lamented the fire outbreak.
“There was an electricity spark and within seconds, there was fire everywhere.
“I am the caretaker and a prospective corps member, I have lost all my documents to fire and I am supposed to join other corps members in few days time.
“We have 24 rooms in all, but 15 rooms were burnt with no item rescued. The most painful is a 2 year- old boy that lost his life”, he said.
Mr. Nze said fire fighters were able to limit the damage, and pleaded for assistance from the government and other well spirited individuals.
James Owoh, Chief Fire Officer in the state, who expressed worry over the tragedy, said his men responded promptly to the situation, and regretted the loss of the little boy and items.
“We arrived immediately after we were contacted and were able to put off the fire to avoid it escalating.
“We still plead with the public to procure 6kg fire extinguisher for their homes to fight fire before the arrival of fire authority,” he said.
Ken Ozioma, Executive Secretary, State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, condoled with the family of the deceased boy.