More than 800 families will be relocated.
The Kano State Government on Tuesday promised to relocate victims of last year’s flood disaster before the beginning of the rainy season.
The Commissioner for Special Duties, Idris Dambazau, said in Kano that the measure was necessary to prevent a recurrence and ameliorate the sufferings of the affected communities.
“Most of the affected communities are living around river banks and we intend to relocate them from the low land to higher land areas,” he said. “This also informed our decision to build houses free for the victims in some affected local government areas.’’
The commissioner said that the state government had already discussed with community leaders in the worst affected areas, to find a lasting solution to the problem.
“Flood is an annual phenomenon, especially in Warawa, Kunchi, Makoda and Wudil. So, we are looking at the possibility of relocating the affected communities to safer places.
“More than 800 families will be relocated from their present places of abode in Warawa to safer places in the area,” he said.
According to him, the affected communities will maintain the ownership of their old homes while government will encourage them to plant water resistant crops.
“They will also be supported to plant rice, wheat and other crops, which can grow in waterlogged areas,’’ he added.