Thursday, April 24, 2014

Fire guts school in Anambra

Published:

Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi

The Governor promised to help rebuild the school.

Fire on Tuesday gutted Guardian Angel Nursery and Primary School, Abatete in Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra, razing the residence of Sisters of St. Raphael, proprietors of the school.

No life was lost while property lost to the fire was estimated to be worth over N50 million. Pupils of the school were temporarily displaced.

Conducting Governor Peter Obi round the premises, Maria Ngwuagu, the Headmistress of the School, said the fire started when a lit candle caught some fabrics.

Ms. Ngwuagu said the fire spread throughout the upper rooms which housed the staff of the school some of whom were expatriate Reverend Sisters.

She said that they lost everything, including their documents, clothes and household materials.

The headmistress, however, thanked Obi for his prompt response to the incident.

Responding, the governor thanked God that no life was lost. He said he was particularly disturbed by the incident because the facilities destroyed were those used for the upbringing of the children of the state.

“Anambra Government will assist the Sisters in rebuilding the school,’’ the governor pledged.

(NAN)

GTBank SME MarketHub campaign