Friday, April 18, 2014

Lagos says ‘mischievous people’ exaggerated fire at Deputy Governor’s house

Published:

Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos

Lagos officials said the fire was ‘minor’ and ‘just a spark’

The Lagos State Government has said that the “minor” fire incident reported at the Deputy Governor’s house, Sunday, was exaggerated by “mischievous people.”

An electric spark in one of the rooms at the Boys’ Quarters had both the state and federal fire service officials rushing to Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire’s residence at the highbrow Osbourne road, Ikoyi, minutes later.

“It was just a spark that was quickly attended to, nothing more than that,” said Lateef Ibirogba, the Commissioner for Information and Strategy.

A text message from the federal government-owned National Emergency Management Agency during the incident read: “Electric spark at Deputy Governor’s house at Osborne Road, federal and state fire services currently working to put off the fire.”

Tunde Abatan, the deputy governor’s media aide, insisted that the incident was “just a spark.”

“There was nobody at the boys’ quarter at the time of the incident,” Mr. Abatan said. “The spark was quickly fixed; it did not cause fire at all. I can assure you that the deputy governor is in her apartment,” he added.

The Lagos State Fire Service, who stated that they had responded to over 22 fire distress calls in December alone, said that the fire was put out before they arrived.

“It was just a spark that affected the metre board. It was put out with fire extinguisher before we arrived at the place,” said Fadipe Idowu, the agency’s director.

GTBank SME MarketHub campaign