#DasukiGate: Surety withdraws from man who allegedly received N2.4 billion from ex-NSA

Olugbenga Obadina businessman standing trial
Olugbenga Obadina businessman standing trial

Maryam Sagir has filed an application to withdraw as a surety to Olugbenga Obadina, a businessman standing trial for allegedly laundering about N2.4 billion.

Mrs. Sagir, at the resumed trial of Mr. Obadina at the Federal High Court, Abuja, on Friday tendered her application before Justice Nnamdi Dimgba.

Through her counsel, P. Agunzi, Mrs. Sagir prayed the court to discharge her as Mr. Obadina’s surety, as he had not kept to the conditions they agreed on.

“I will like to apply on behalf of my client to withdraw her surety ship and to be discharged from that obligation.

“The defendant since admitted on bail has not kept to the understanding they had as each time efforts are made to reach him, he is not forth coming.”

The lawyer said that the application was urgent as Mr. Obadina was applying for the release of his passport.

Counsel to Mr. Obadina, Chris Uche, said he was not aware of the surety’s intention to withdraw.

“It would have been more professional if the application was brought to the notice of the defendant’s counsel since you know that the defendant is represented by counsel,” Mr. Uche said.

Mr. Uche also told the court that the defence had agreed for the matter to be adjourned on the health grounds of the prosecutor, Larry Aso.

Mr. Aso had earlier told the court that he was unable to prosecute the matter due to ill health.

Justice Dimgba adjourned the matter till February 1 to take the application, as this would enable Mr. Obadina get a new surety before then.

He also adjourned the substantive matter till March 1 for continuation of hearing.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, arraigned Mr. Obadina and his company, Almond Projects Limited on an eight-count charge of criminal breach of trust, corruption and money laundering to the tune of N2.4billion.

Mr. Obadina allegedly collected the money, paid into his company’s account in tranches, between 2013 and 2015 from the Office of the National Security Adviser under retired Sambo Dasuki, in a scandal popularly known as #Dasukigate

Sambo Dasuki formal National Security Adviser
Sambo Dasuki formal National Security Adviser

He pleaded not guilty to the charges.

(NAN)


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD:To place a text-based ad here call Willie (08098788999)...


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • zacchaeus Akinleye

    This development is a fresh job for the prayer-crazed brethren. Who will pray for this agent of recession now that he is on his own. Nigerians are fantasizing their president’s death because they think that will halt the corruption investigations/trials/plug of money leaks. Buhari is going nowhere; if you have skeletons in your cupboard we will make Nigeria too hot for you. NIGERIANS REPENT!!!