Sallah: FRSC deploys 20,000 personnel across Nigeria

FRSC officials

The Federal Road Safety Commission on Thursday said no fewer than 20,000 personnel have been deployed to manage traffic at strategic locations across the country during the upcoming Eid-el-Kabir holiday.

Bisi Kazeem, the FRSC’s spokesperson, said in a statement to PREMIUM TIMES that the agency was anticipating an upsurge in road traffic activities and had made appropriate provisions.

Mr. Kazeem said the Corps Marshal of the FRSC, Boboye Oyeyemi, also approved the utilisation of 697 patrol vehicles, 283 motorbikes, 76 ambulances and 22 tow trucks for the traffic offices.

He said the FRSC had recorded improvement in the effectiveness of road traffic management within the past year because its staff are better equipped.

“Between January and August 2015, a total of 5,953 crashes were recorded involving 39,119 people in which 3,233 of them died and 17,189 others were rescued alive,” Mr. Kazeem said. “However, within the same period in 2016, 5,707 crashes were recorded involving 38,222 people out of which 3,048 died and 17,446 others were rescued alive.”

Similarly, between January and August 2015, officials apprehended 339,551 offenders for 376.391 offences compared to 421,816 in the same respects, in 2016, Mr. Kazeem said.

As part of its preparation for the Salah activities, the FRSC said some senior officers were relocated outside Abuja on a mission to boost the morale of staff across the country.

“The Corps has relocated its Deputy Corps Marshals and Assistant Corps Marshals alongside Corps Commanders to the field where they are expected to boost the morale of Officers and Marshals on ground for the 2016 Sallah Special Patrol where particular attention will also be paid to critical corridors as the Lagos – Ibadan and Abuja – Kaduna Expressways as well as the East West Road,” Mr. Kazeem said.

“The Corps Marshal used the opportunity to remind motorcyclists and pedestrians of the need to be more vigilant while making use of the road,” Mr. Kazeem said.

All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • Apostel

    Bullshit story. How many people work for FRFC; 100 000? So, that means only 20% of this useless agency is on duty. Not more than every day, because the other 80% are out of duty and doing private business.
    Shame on you, always full of lie, FRFC.

  • Otile

    Jama’a barka da Sallah.