Nigeria, three others get Trump’s $639 million aid

U.S. President, Donald Trump
U.S. President, Donald Trump

U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday promised 639 million dollars in aid to feed people facing starvation because of drought and conflict in Northeast Nigeria, Somalia, South Sudan and Yemen.

Of the funding, 121 million dollars would go to Nigeria, according to Rob Jenkins, Acting Head, Bureau of Democracy, Conflict and Humanitarian Assistance at the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).

Similarly, more than 191 million dollars would go to Yemen, 199 million dollars to South Sudan and nearly 126 million dollars for Somalia.

“With this new assistance, the United States is providing additional emergency food and nutrition assistance, life-saving medical care, improved sanitation, emergency shelter and protection for those who have been affected by conflict,” USAID said in a statement

Jenkins said conflicts in all the four countries had made it difficult to reach some communities in need of food.

“We’re in a dire situation right now. The situation in southern Ethiopia fortunately does not rise to the dire situation of the other four, but the situation is deteriorating and might very well be catastrophic without additional interventions,” he said.

Mr. Jenkins said that USAID was also concerned about the situation in southern Ethiopia, adding that Washington had already provided some 252 million dollars this year to Ethiopia, “but the needs continue to grow.”

President Trump’s pledge came during a working session of the G20 summit of world leaders in Hamburg, Germany, the UN World Food Programme (WFP), Executive Director, David Beasley, said on the sidelines of the meeting, according to Reuters.

“We’re facing the worst humanitarian crisis since World War Two,” Beasley said, describing the pledge as providing a “godsend” to the suffering millions and the global food agency fighting hunger worldwide.

The new funding brings to over 1.8 billion dollars aid promised by the U.S. for fiscal year 2017 for the crises in the four countries, where the UN had estimated more than 30 million people needed urgent food assistance.

Beasley said the U.S. funding was about a third of what the WFP estimated was required this year to deal with urgent food needs in the four countries in crisis as well as in other areas.

The WFP estimates that 109 million people around the world will need food assistance this year, up from 80 million last year, with 10 of the 13 worst-affected zones stemming from wars and “man-made” crises, Beasley said.

“We estimated that if we didn’t receive the funding we needed immediately that 400,000 to 600,000 children would be dying in the next four months,” he said.

Trump’s announcement came after his administration proposed sharp cuts in funding for the U.S. State Department and other humanitarian missions as part of his “America First” policy.

Beasley said the agency had worked hard with the White House and the U.S. government to secure the funding, but Trump would insist that other countries contributed more as well. (NAN)


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD:DIABETES Is CURABLE! Don't Let It Threaten You! To NORMALIZE Your Blood Sugar In 21Days For Life, Click Here!!!.


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • Financial Monitors

    Premium Times Editor,

    That other proceed of crime seized at Sterling Bank…

    Thank you for this report but consider that EFCC promised
    since last year to prosecute five Managing Directors of banks, but has not done
    so till today or said anything in that direction ever since. Why do i say this?
    I say it because $154million was stolen from NNPC in the year 2015 and passed
    clandestinely to Fidelity Bank which then passed on the $154million secretly to
    Sterling Bank. The Managing Director of Sterling Bank, Yemi Adeola, received
    the stolen money and hid it off the bank books of Sterling Bank so as to conceal it
    from detection by the Police.

    Eventually the EFCC traced the money and uncovered it where
    Yemi Adeola illicitly hid it. The EFCC then more or less arrested Yemi Adeola
    for interrogation in custody. After the investigations the EFCC was convinced
    that moneylaundering crime has been committed. EFCC took the case to got and
    obtained a court order to forfeit the entire $154million to the federal government
    Till date no criminal prosecution has since followed. This is odd and irresponsible
    because the $154 million stolen and hidden at Sterling Bank is more than this
    foreign aid of $121million that President Trump has just given to Nigeria.

    • Cosmas I.

      NIGERIA IS A COUNTRY RULED BY PURE THIEVES IN DISGUISE AS POLITICAL PARTY.

      ONLY A BLOODY REVOLUTION CAN SAVE NIGERIA FROM COLLAPSE FROM THEFT!

      • Eko don spoil finish!

        @Financial Monitors:

        Can you imagine? Stealing is more than
        foreign aid in Nigeria. What a country! I won’t be surprised if someday
        Americans stop giving foreign aid to Nigeria. They’ll have a good ground that
        their taxpayers money should not be given to thieves to steal. How do we know
        that the APC government of illiterates will not steal this $121million too? We
        don’t know. EFCC does not investigate APC thefts, but only goes after PDP
        opposition party. What sort of justice is that one?

        Not less than 800 billion
        Naira was stolen between 2007 and 2015 by or under Raji Fashola of APC
        in Lagos state. EFCC has acted like ostrich, not even asking any questions.
        The proof of this theft is there, in the handover note Raji Fashola delivered to
        his successor Akin Ambode, where Raji Fashola crookedly understated total
        revenues earned by Lagos state in his 8-year tenure as 2.43 billion Naira.

        It was his Commissioner for Planning Ben Akhabueze who later told Punch
        newspaper the real truth, that no less than 400 billion was earned by Lagos
        government under Raji Fashola, meaning that gross revenue was no less than
        3.2 trillion Naira – and not the 2.43 trillion Raji Fashola forged in his handover
        note to hide away a missing and conclusively stolen 800 billion Naira.

        • ????????questo

          Simple arithmetic. If over 400

          billion was received every year as Lagos state revenue under Raji Fashola, the
          total in eight (8) years will be 3.2 trillion minimum. Where is the 800 billion Naira
          shortfall in Raji Fashola’s handover account statement? Where is it?

        • Tunsj

          Shameless Nigerian leaders.

  • North/West Allies

    I don’t blame Trump, this is a huge insult to Nigeria. I blame our politicians that loot public funds meant to better the lives of citizens, we have been reduced to share grants with poorest countries in the world like Somalia, South Sudan and Yemen

    A governor of a state in Nigeria loot more than 1 billion dollar in a month, APC and EFCC told us that they are fighting corruption. What are they doing with these recovered loots, nobody is telling us anything…We have not heard anything about the VP panel that probed SGF Lawal and NIA Oke till date

    It’s time we start telling ourselves the truth, Nigeria youths where are you?