Boko Haram attacks Nigerian military post, kills 21 soldiers, 5 civilians – Survivor

Boko Haram  members
Boko Haram members

The attack took place at a village called Bulabulin-Ngaura.

About 26 persons, comprising of 21 soldiers and five villagers, were killed on Tuesday night after members of the Boko Haram overran a military post near Damboa town of Borno State, a survivor and hospital officials said.

The attack took place at a village called Bulabulin-Ngaura, located about 50km away from Maiduguri and 35 km north of Damboa.

A soldier that was able to escape the attack said the gunmen came in over ten trucks and motorcycles armed with heavy weapons like rocket launchers, anti-aircraft and several assault rifles.

The soldier, who said he made it to Maiduguri on foot, lamented that he saw over 16 of his colleagues drop dead, before he gave up and took to his heals after exhausting his ammunition.

“They came in their dozen driving over ten trucks and several motorcycles; we were at our normal duty post in Bulabulin-Ngaura Village. None of us unexpected anything; the attack was a terrible one; as I am talking to you now I have been told that some of my colleagues have been taken away,” said the soldier.

He explained to journalists that “they came in over 30 vehicles, mounted with Anti-Aircraft guns (AA). We could not match them because we had Ak47 rifles that are not fully loaded. When we realized that they have taken over the place, some of us escaped to Maiduguri and other places but many could not make it. As we were busy engaging them I saw over 16 bodies of my colleagues on the ground that made me to give up because I was not having enough ammunition to carry on.”

Sources at the Specialist General Hospital Maiduguri also confirmed that corpses of soldiers had been brought to the hospital on Wednesday morning. The hospital sources also said five civilians were also killed.

The military is yet to react to the Tuesday attack and its spokesperson, Chris Olukolade, did not pick calls to his phone.

Thousands of people have been killed in Borno in the past year despite a state of emergency imposed on the state since May, 2013.


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD:WARNING TO MEN: These 3 Foods is Killing Your Erection. Click Here to Know Them...


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.


  • True son of the soil

    what a trillion Naira budget can do?