PREMIUM TIMES survives major cyber attack

premium times logo

Readers and keen visitors to the Premium Times site struggled in vain early Sunday January 5 to access our news platform. The one-word report that the site had been “blocked” was the depressing information, which alerted them that we had come under a ferocious and hostile cyber attack, a process, which actually started Friday January 3.

After a drenching 9-hour recovery operation which brought together wonderful minds across three continents, we were finally able to restore hope and keep the site alive again.

We thank thousands of worried readers and colleagues who saw the vivid outlines of a nefarious and sponsored plot against the media and free expression in this onslaught directed at Premium Times.

Editor in Chief of Premium Times, Dapo Olorunyomi, said “we may have succeeded in fending off the wild wolves for a while, but it is typical and in the nature of the beast to return in greed.”

“What is at stake is not the publishing rights of a newspaper but the fate of democracy, an accountable polity, and the possibility of an open and transparent society” Olorunyomi said, urging Nigerians to sacrifice all they have to retain an independent, pluralist, and ethical media.