Philippines says no Filipino among foreign workers kidnapped by Nigerian militants

gunmen

Philippines say the Nigerian authorities erred when it said a Filipino was among the seven foreigners kidnapped.

The Philippine government has denied reports that a Filipino is among seven foreigners seized by gunmen in Bauchi on Sunday.

The spokesperson for the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs, Raul Hernandez, said on Tuesday in Manila that no Filipino is among the hostages.

Nigerian authorities said earlier that those kidnapped on Saturday included a Filipino, a Briton, a Greek, an Italian, and three Lebanese.

Mr. Hernandez said Setraco, Lebanese employer of the kidnapped victims, contacted the Philippine Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria, and reported that no Filipino was among the victims.

A group known as Jama’atu Ansarul Musilimina Fi Biladis Sudan, popularly referred to Ansaru, claimed responsibility for Sunday’s kidnap of the seven foreign workers in Jama’are Town of Bauchi State, North East Nigeria.

They said the men were kidnapped because of the “transgressions done to the religion of Allah by European nations in many places such as Afghanistan and Mali.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>