Dangote-led Presidential Committee raises N11.35bn for flood victims

Aliko Dangote owns the Dangote conglomerate
Aliko Dangote owns the Dangote conglomerate

The Presidential Committee on Flood Relief and Rehabilitation on Thursday realised more than 11.35 billion in cash and promissory donations for victims of flood across the country.

The amount was realised at a Fund Raising Dinner presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa.

Aliko Dangote, a business mogul and one of the co-chairmen of the committee inaugurated by Jonathan Oct. 11,  anchored the ceremony.

Top on the list of donors at the event were Dangote and the Federal Government, who donated N2.5 billion each.

Mr. Dangote, however, said that from his N2.5 billion, 200 million had earlier been given to Kogi State Government and N150 million for the running of the Secretariat of the committee.

Arthur Eze, Tony Elumelu and Jim Ovia donated N1 million each and the chief fund raiser, Mike Adenuga donated N500 million.

Anambra Gov Peter Obi also announced a donation of N1.8 billion on behalf of the state governors at the rate of , N15 million each.

Other who made donations were construction giants Julius Berger, Setraco, Dantata and Sawoe, RCC and other corporate organisations and spirited individuals.

Launching the event, the President appealed to Nigerians and the international community to donate generously to the course.

He recounted the ordeal of the victims during a tour of the affected states as “tragedy that will melt the hardest of the heart’’.

The President noted that although the cause of the flood was still being assessed, the government had taken some  measures through the release of funds and relief materials.

 Mr. Jonathan said that N9.7 billion had been released to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development for the provision of food and seedlings, while N2.5 billion was released to the Ministry of Health for disease control.

In his address, Mr. Dangote also urged Nigerians to donate generously to assist the victims.

He said that the extent of damage caused by the devastating flood had overstressed the capacity of government, which necessitated the assistance of public spirited people.

The business mogul gave an assurance that every money collected would be used judiciously for the victims of the flood.

He said the committee would not touch a dime from the fund raised, as he had made N150 million available for the running of the secretariat of the committee.

He called on the telecommunications service providers to donate at least N1 from every sms to the victims.

  • Mpitikwelu_na_Ugwu_Awusa

    Great job , Aliko. You are one in a million.