U.S. attack on Syria: UN urges restraint

Antonio Guterres
Antonio Guterres

The UN Secretary-General, António Guterres, has urged restraint to avoid any escalation of the situation in Syria, after the U.S. responded militarily to an alleged chemical weapons attack earlier this week.

In the wake of the U.S. airstrikes, Mr. Guterres said: “I continue to follow the situation in Syria closely and with grave concern.

“Mindful of the risk of escalation, I appeal for restraint to avoid any acts that could deepen the suffering of the Syrian people.

“These events underscore my belief that there is no other way to solve the conflict than through a political solution”, Guterres said in a statement.

The UN chief called on the parties to urgently renew their commitment to making progress in the Geneva intra-Syrian talks.

According to the U.S., the launch of 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles into the Shayrat Airbase was a response to what it stated was the Syrian Government’s use of chemical weapons from the base.

The alleged April 4 chemical weapons attack killed many civilians in the Khan Shaykhoun area of Idlib.

Decrying the chemical weapons attack, the UN chief stressed the need for accountability for such crimes in line with existing international norms and Security Council resolutions.

Meanwhile, the Security Council convened an urgent session to hear an update on the situation in Syria.

UN Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs, Jeffrey Feltman, said the December 30, 2016 Syrian ceasefire – brokered by Russia, Iran and Turkey – had faltered in the last two months amid a steady escalation of military activity.

Mr. Feltman said that in mid-February, Government forces escalated their military operations in several areas of Damascus and Homs, recapturing Wadi Barada and al-Waar in Homs.

“In February and March, armed opposition groups, sometimes coordinating with al-Nusra Front, launched offensives in Daraa, Damascus and Hama.

“On April 4, as Government forces were fighting to regain territory recently lost to opposition offensives in northern Hama, disturbing reports emerged of an alleged chemical attack, in nearby Khan Shaykhoun in southern Idlib,” Mr. Feltman said.

He added that the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) had announced that its fact-finding mission was starting to investigate the alleged attack.

A statement from the Syrian General Command of the Army and the Armed Forces called the U.S. response a “blatant act of aggression” which had caused six deaths and huge material damage.

Mr. Feltman said that Iran and Russia condemned the U.S. attack, with the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands and New Zealand expressing some support for the U.S. strikes.

“The Security Council has the primary responsibility for international peace and security”, Mr. Feltman said.

He urged the 15-member body to unite and exercise that responsibility to investigate the alleged use of chemical weapons in Khan Shaykhoun.

“Security Council resolution 2254 (2015) and the 2012 Geneva Communiqué remain the foundation of, and contain the core principles for, United Nations mediation efforts and ultimately a solution in this regard”, he said.

(NAN)


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD:WARNING TO MEN: These 3 Foods is Killing Your Erection. Click Here to Know Them...


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.