Funeral held for U.S. boy, 8, killed in Boston bomb attack

Boston Marathon runners

Martin was the youngest of the three victims of the attack.

A private funeral has been held for the eight year old boy, Martin Richard, killed by last week’s Boston Marathon bomb, the family said Tuesday.

Martin was the youngest of three victims of the blast. He died as he waited with his sister and mother by the sidelines to give his father, who ran in the marathon, a hug. His sister lost a limp while the mother had brain injuries.

A statement released on behalf of the family said a funeral mass was celebrated with immediate family on Tuesday, followed by burial. The family said it plans to hold a public memorial service for the boy sometime in the coming weeks.

The family from Boston’s Dorchester neighborhood called the past week “the most difficult week of our lives.” It said they appreciated the outpouring of love and support they have received.

Meantime, U.S. officials on Tuesday gave a reviewed figure of those injured by the attack.

Public health officials said 264 people sought treatment at hospitals for injuries sustained in the Boston Marathon bombings.

Early figure of the injured was at least 176. At least 14 people lost all or part of a limb.

The Boston Public Health Commission says the larger number includes people who delayed seeking medical attention..

For example, some people had ringing in their ears from the blasts and thought it might go away, but it persisted for several days.

Other people sought delayed treatment for minor shrapnel wounds. Twenty-seven different hospitals treated the injured.

The commission said as of Tuesday, 51 people were still hospitalized.