British Spice Girl Mel B, gets restraining order after accusing husband of abuse

Melanie B [Photo Credit: Official Chart]
Melanie B [Photo Credit: Official Chart]

British singer and Spice Girl Melanie ‘Mel B’ Brown, was granted a restraining order against her estranged husband Stephen Belafonte after filling claims of abuse.

According to the court papers, she claimed Belafonte, a TV producer, had emotionally and physically abused her for much of their 10-year marriage.

She added that he threatened to leak a sex tape to the media if she left him, according to court documents filed in Los Angeles Superior Court to support her request for a restraining order.

The request was granted on Monday and a full hearing was scheduled on April 24.
The singer said her husband had beaten her and destroyed her self-esteem.

Brown, 41, also known as “Scary Spice” in the 1990s British girl group, filed for divorce last month in Los Angeles citing irreconcilable differences.

Representatives for Brown did not immediately return requests for comment on Tuesday.

The couple married in 2007 and has a five year-old daughter. Brown has two other children from previous relationships.

Belafonte told celebrity website TMZ in an interview on Monday, “I am shocked at those allegations… I think someone is trying to set me up to look like a bad guy.”

In the court documents, Brown detailed incidents dating back to 2007, when she claimed Belafonte slammed her onto the floor and began choking her on the night of her finale, for the TV show “Dancing with the Stars.”

In 2012, she said a jealous Belafonte punched her in the face and split her lip; as she was about to tape a segment with R&B singer Usher for the TV show “The X Factor,” according to the court documents.

The singer included photographs of herself in the filing, including a couple from her appearance on “The X Factor” with bruises on her arms and face.

Brown said in the documents that she tried to leave Belafonte many times.

“But he threatened me with violence and threatened to destroy my life in every possible way … destroy my career and take my kids from me.”

(Reuters/NAN)


DOWNLOAD THE PREMIUM TIMES MOBILE APP

Now available on

  Premium Times Android mobile applicationPremium Times iOS mobile applicationPremium Times blackberry mobile applicationPremium Times windows mobile application

TEXT AD:WARNING TO MEN: These 3 Foods is Killing Your Erection. Click Here to Know Them...


All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from PREMIUM TIMES.